Search

Saturday, 26 May 2012

Monica Belluci for Dolce & Gabbana Lipstick Collection: Review & Swatches



A little while ago now I took a trip down to Harrods in order to take a break from being housebound. I was in need of a splurge so passed the Dolce & Gabbana beauty counter. It's my first dip into this brand and I'm really enjoying the textures, colours and products. At the time I was in an incredibly bad mood and some in incredibly gaudy packaging was definitely the route to cheer me up.


Monica Bellucci's lipstick collection is a total of six shades that includes a nude, a coral, a bright pink, a fiery orange with red undertones, a classic ruby red and a deep plum colour. The collection is extremely well executed and encompasses Dolce & Gabbana's lipstick formulas. I think I was so drawn to the collection as Monica Bellucci has a similar skin tone to me and thought that these shades really suited me.



Granted, at £24.50 (classic line of D&G lipsticks = £23, Gloss Fusion Lipsticks = £25) a lipstick the price can be difficult to justify but, and I know this is a big claim - if I only had to have 6 lipsticks on this planet these would be it. It has truly become my favourite lipstick line and I'm devastated that it's limited edition because it really hurts to purchase more. Nonetheless, I did swatch pretty much the whole line and there are available 'almost' dupes within the line itself. The only thing that I don't like are the names - I find them a little cheesy but it really doesn't matter too much. 

As I said before the formulations across the range differ - out of the three I picked up (shown below) Natural and Italian Monica are highly pigmented, very smooth and creamy. I don't know how to differentiate them from other brands, one just needs to try them! The coral shade: Only Monica is a little sheerer than the rest and imparts a glossy finish - this is the only one of its kind in the line.. All these lipsticks are incredibly long lasting, make your lips look plump and don't settle into lines.

Furthermore, Dolce & Gabbana's permanent line (so far only available in Harrods in London - don't know where else in the UK, if you do please comment below) has a vast array of shades and I seriously think if you're looking for a new lipstick and you're contemplating YSL, Chanel or any of the other popular brands - check out Dolce and Gabbana! You won't be disappointed. 


Swatches Left to Right: Natural Monica (Nude) , Only Monica (Coral pink) , Italian Monica (Orangey red)


Comparisons...


Swatches left to right: Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream Stockholm, Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream Abu Dhabi, Revlon Mauve it Over, Mac Kinda Sexy, MAC Fanfare, MAC A Perfect Day, D&G Natural Monica, MAC Woo Me Kissable Lip Colour, Giorgio Armani Shine Lipstick #25, Nars Tzigane, MAC Bare Again, Nars Pure Matte Lipstick Bangkok, Urban Decay Naked, Tom Ford Pink Dusk

I think the closest here is MAC Kinda Sexy & MAC Bare again ( Paired with a slightly darker pinky nude or mauve lipliner 


Swatches Left to Right: MAC Vegas Volt, MAC Costa Chic, MAC See Sheer, D&G Only Monica, Burberry Golden Peach, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Antwerp, MAC So Vain, Nars Casablanca 

I think the closest is MAC Vegas Volt if you were to apply it lightly, MAC See Sheer, and MAC So Vain Kissable Lip Colour


Swatches left to right: Illamasqua Temper Intense Lipgloss, Sleek OMG, D&G Italian Monica, YSL Rouge Volupte #15 Extreme Coral 

I think here the closest is Sleek OMG - and I have a feeling MAC Lady Danger but I don't have that to show you

Edit: I forgot to mention these lipsticks are floral scented.

As always thanks so much for reading this post and letting me know your thoughts and if you haven't already please enter my NARS Blush Giveaway!


xxx

13 comments:

  1. they look glossy which i really like that
    kind of like the revlon lip butters
    very nice colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a sheen but much more pigmented than revlon lip butters xx

      Delete
  2. Oooh, they look beautiful. I haven't tried any D&G lipsticks, but they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's probably due to their limited availability that people dont talk about them more xx

      Delete
  3. they look really pretty I cant wait till they get here!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let me know if you get to try them xx

      Delete
  4. Holy cow i'm loosing my sh*t over these - they look amaziiiiiiiiiiing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! I'd love to try Only Monica and the nude one, the other colors look like the shades for brunettes(

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok.you're REALLY rich

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...